Posts by mag

just track yourself using timer or something and goto home when no activity from user.

On android you can call launcher to home screen and leaving your app. this is like quiting but you app is suspend. i have java code for that but cannot give it now.

when user at home its up to their os setting how they want to utilize their battery. your app do it part already, no activity? suspend app.

I support the idea of simplifying the language. However, it seems inconsistent with the current CerberusX (CX) language, where any identifier created without specifying a type defaults to an integer:

Code
    local A = 10 // A by default becomes int

Nevertheless, I agree that allowing methods and functions without specified types to default to void makes sense. Although it deviates slightly from the original language, it's a feasible adjustment. Methods and functions do seem cleaner with void as the default return type.

Regarding changing the return type of App callbacks OnCreate() and OnRender() to void, I also agree. In my experience, there's rarely a need for an integer return type in these methods. While considering OnUpdate(), I'm uncertain if a return value would be useful. However, if you decide to omit it, I'm okay with that. I can resort to using globals if necessary. Overall, having these methods return void does contribute to a cleaner codebase.

On the topic of creating #USE_COMPATIBILITY_MODE=True, I don't think it's a good idea. It seems messy. Instead, providing a help note about these changes for those migrating to the new version would suffice.

However, for #MOJO2_DEFAULTCANVAS_ENABLED=False, if you desided to add a global draw function, I support adding this configuration. It provides flexibility and aligns with the purpose of a config.

Additionally, I do appreciate the concept of a default canvas, which can significantly ease the learning curve for newcomers.

I can't remember why I picked BlitzBASIC over DarkBASIC etc, but I believe it was
    documentation and being seemingly more clear and simple, or if it was some technical aspects that others lacked.

Mee too. I chose BB over DarkBASIC back then. I preferred BB's IDE with its native window, can't quite recall why DarkBASIC didn't click for me. Perhaps the name and a bit of bloat. Played around with DarkBASIC a bit, but the simplicity of BB won me over.

When Mark left Blitz, I felt frustrated knowing that the tool I used (Monkey) wouldn't receive updates anymore. I've been a dedicated Blitz user, utilizing all their products from bb, b+, b3d to Monkey. Mark has a business pattern where initial updates are frequent and free, but as he creates something new, previous tools get less attention and seem abandoned. Despite this, I understand the need to make money. Mark produces excellent, reasonably priced products with a clean compiler design style. When he seemingly abandoned a tool like BlitPlus, he left behind a userlib, a thoughtful gesture. When leaving Blitz, he open-sourced everything, allowing others to continue. Overall, I find him fair, and if he creates a new tool, I'll certainly check it out, giving him a chance to succeed because he deserves it.

Thank Phil. btw... for some who need this for sorting array 1 dim

I've noticed a parallel between live decisions and the OnUpdate() function 😎. When we prioritize accuracy with heavy calculations, we might mess with FPS, making our game less snappy.

Ever notice successful folks making speedy, bold, and risky decisions? 🚀 Their idea here is to boost decision frequency by allowing some not-so-perfect choices. This cooks up more interactive signals from life itself. These signals become assets for refining decision accuracy over time.

Plus, treating life as an ongoing maintenance process adds another layer to this analogy. 🔧💡 Good luck to CerberusX. I support you, @Phil7. I hope success will be yours.

When my window desktop app loses focus, both rendering and updating come to a halt. This also happen in the HTML build and likely other builds as well.

While this behavior may be acceptable on mobile platforms where typically only one task is displayed at a time, it becomes inconvenient on desktop. Specifically, I want my app, which functions as a clock, to continue rendering even when I'm focused on another application.

Any suggestions on how to address this would be greatly appreciated!

Have you noticed that all the tools out there are not so good? As you become a more serious developer, you've probably already tried all of them several times and found problems, leading to frustration. At least, it happened to me.

Studios target a wider audience with user-friendly, visually appealing tools but may sacrifice some power to avoid complexity for the user. Serious developers, on the other hand, seek feature-rich, powerful, and efficient solutions, while studios seem to be focused on capturing a vast audience and charging small amounts to many users.

Personally, I want efficient solutions, but I'm not sure how much I can pay for them.

I want to make money from my games, so things like this are a priority for me:

- Easy multi-platform compilation (targeting more platforms means a larger audience).
    - In-app purchases (IAP) available on all major app stores (Google Play, Apple App Store, Amazon, Samsung, etc).
    - Support for advertising through various channels (Admob, Unity Ads, Facebook Audience Network, AppLovin, etc.).

I also love graphics, and if the game allows me to work with graphics in layers, similar to After Effects, where I can apply masks, filters, and effects to the layers, it would be fantastic. Something like what Pixi.js offers. It's like our render target, but we have no preset effects or can apply masks here.

Additionally, I need a straightforward multiplayer solution.

This is my dream tool, haha and I'm definitely willing to pay for it because I believe it will help me achieve a substantial return on my investment. And if not, it's okay because I'll definitely have fun playing with it.

to use the Android API to get the app list and launch apps

You need to create your own module and most probably need to custom your own (target)templete

You can learn to create your module by study the file in the module folder. For example open:
    ..\modules\brl\httprequest.cxs. This is a CX file that link to external java file ..\modules\brl\native\httprequest.android.java
    From there you can learn to do your own java code for your project.

Compile to android once, to create a xxx.buildv2023-05-26 (build folder)

You then can see that there are android folder inside this build folder. Inside, you can configute your own templete in subfolder named gradletemplate. Here you can edit for example your build.gradle file and custom as you like. You can use for example ${ANDROID_TARGET_SDK_VERSION} to automatic fill with the value you set in your CX file as #ANDROID_TARGET_SDK_VERSION=something

I hope I give you rough idea. The project that you want to do is actually quite tough to build using CX.

CX is for 2d games.

Thanks @Gerry Quinn for suggession. I alcually already done https://github.com/zomagic/cerberus_BigUInt

But I just wondering if there are an easy way to use native long. I know CX take source code into other language. I see that CX to JS is already 64bit( I think) and I imagine that the issue is only about how declaration is done(translate) to other language. Base on target let say, java target; maybe on the case where CX parse global var:int=20 ... CX than translete instead of int var=20; into long var=20;

Well I believe it is not easy. Especially if other module was build along with 32bit in mind. I need to know how parser work in CX

Its a latest version. (cerberus-v2023-05-26)

I wonder, If I added some other reference like ANDROID_LIBRARY_REFERENCE_3 into my custom templete for example, do this need manualy changes to CX source code like android builder or something (sorry I'm not sure how the CX source work) for it to be able to work like other original one... like ANDROID_LIBRARY_REFERENCE_1

I have a problem with AndroidManifest.xml and several other file like build.gradle and so on. The problem is like this...
    When I have a line code using this [ += ]:

Code
    #ANDROID_MANIFEST_APPLICATION+="<bla>"
    #ANDROID_MANIFEST_APPLICATION+="<bla>"
    #ANDROID_MANIFEST_APPLICATION+="~n~t <bla>"
    #ANDROID_MANIFEST_APPLICATION+="~n~t <bla>"

When compile the output file become like this, which produce error

Code
    | <bla>/> | <bla>
           | <bla>
    | <bla>

There are symbol " | " appear making error in the output. compile release fail